Thursday, December 23, 2004

Procrastination

I wonder how common this behavior pattern is that I observe in myself: I really want/need to be doing "important but not urgent" activity A. I'd like to devote my full attention to A for the whole day, but I can't do that until I finish B, which is less important but comes with a deadline. I don't much feel like working on B, and the deadline is not terribly tight, so I end up doing C, which is some activity like reading list e-mail or blogging that is neither important nor urgent, until B becomes acutely urgent. I do almost always meet the deadline for B, but by the time I finish, another B has come along, the cycle starts anew, and I never do get around to A.

2 Comments:

At 12:59, Blogger Patrice said...

Great blog.

Here are a couple of procrastination sites I've enjoyed: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=7240
and
http://www-csli.stanford.edu/~john/procrastination.html

 
At 13:20, Blogger MiGrant said...

I'm glad you like the blog; thanks for the links. People have recommended Neil Fiore's The Now Habit on procrastination--I've ordered it from Amazon, but they seem to keep putting off delivering it....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home