Wednesday, January 04, 2017

New year's resolution: reconnect with civic life

Last night I listened in on the second weekly conference call of Indivisible Austin, an anti-Trump political group. Those who know me will hardly be surprised that I'm no fan of that blowhard from Celebrity Apprentice who thinks he and he alone can make America great again. The election result triggered a strong desire to re-engage with my community, and to become a more active citizen in the national community. I'm beginning to explore ways to do that.

There's part of me that still suspects that, despite the more disreputable members of Trump's entourage and his bull-in-a-china-shop style of communicating, some of the panic over the impending inauguration may be a bit overblown. What's objectionable about El Cheeto may yet turn out to be more a matter of style than substance. But I'm willing to risk a little embarrassment if the Trump administration turns out less bad than it seems, if it means that if worse comes to worst I can be part of mitigating the damage during the disaster and, hopefully, helping rebuild once it's over.

Much more on this in the days and weeks to come....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home